The Abodus Student Living Team
Clearing has grown exponentially in the last few years' Last year(2018) 67,000 students found their place through Clearing at Ucas.com.
This year clearing runs from the 5 July to 23 October. A Level results (England & Wales) are released on August 15th and this is the day that students using clearing need to be ready for.
Clearing is for you if;
- You are only just applying for University for this year now
- You didn’t receive any offers (or ones you wanted to accept)
- You don’t get the results you need to get into your choice of course
If you changed your mind you can use Adjustment or decline your place
It is vital that YOU ARE PREPARED. Get yourself organised in advance of the A-Level results by following our handy clearing tips.
How Use Clearing To Your Advantage
- If you haven’t already, you need to register to make an application. UCAS will then send you an email and access to Track and you Clearing number.
- Solicit Advice. Ask around for advice at home and from your school/college advisor who should be able to give you some ideas about courses/subjects.
- Don’t wait for results day. Be prepared by searching UCAS to find other courses. Some students prepare a hierarchy of choices based on possible results. For example if their first choice required A*AA, they might list courses that require AAA, AAB and ABB. In other words they’ve done a lot of the thinking before they get their results. Remember, you don’t necessarily have to go with your first idea, you might like to explore alternative subjects or joint honours course so you can study a mix of subjects.
- Keep Checking Universities update their course information. Some might get vacancies later on in the clearing process
- Refresh your Personal Statement. Dig out your personal statement. You might want to finesse it to make sure it’s relevant if you need to submit it to another course during Clearing.
- On Results Day Breathe. If you didn’t get the results you wanted, it’s disappointing but it’s really not the end of the world. Get your head clear. Plan your phone calls and settle in for a busy day.
- Be prepared for a mini telephone interview. Have your Clearing Number and ID to hand. Be polite and able to discuss your reasons for choosing the course and importantly why you are interested and committed to the course. Your personal statement can be really useful as a prompt when you contact Universities to enquire about applying for your chosen course.
- Get Multiple Offers You don’t have to restrict yourself to only one offer. Look for several informal offers and choose from these.
- Add Your Choice to Track This counts as you definitely accepting the offer. If the university checks it will show as an acceptance on your Choices page. You can only add one choice at a time but if the University doesn’t confirm you will be able to add another.
- Find your accommodation If you have already booked accommodation and have to change it, make sure you are aware of the terms and conditions. Abodus is Fresher Friendly and we offer a 72 hour period when you can stop your booking if you send us the required documentation.
Be prepared for a busy day on the 15th and the days that follow. By pre-empting what you want to achieve and prioritising your choices, you'll significantly increase your chances of having a successful clearing.